I want to wish a happy Thanksgiving to all of my Canadian readers and friends, and give a quick life update plus 5 things that I am thankful for.
Two weeks ago I was rear-ended while stopped at a red light. The car that hit me was going so fast that the extent of the damage surprised even the repair shop and it gave me injuries and a concussion that I’ve been dealing with ever since. I am thankful that no one else was in my car, that I have an understanding employer who makes it possible for me to go to doctor’s and physiotherapy appointments on weekdays, and that I was in good health and shape before the accident. I’m trying to live as normally as I can, but I’ll be honest about my challenges. I haven’t been able to exercise, and I experience pain when I drive, work at a desk, or carry normal everyday things like my purse, my camera, and grocery bags. This is my first time getting injured from a car accident and my heart goes out to everyone who has experienced this.
I’m thankful for:
- My health // Despite everything that happened, I think attitude is everything and I am thankful to have the support, the means, and the ability to get better. It’ll take time but I know that I won’t feel the aching, pain, and headaches forever and ever. I am thankful to be young and healthy.
- Damon // He loves me like no one else and annoys me like no one else. He is my best friend and his positive attitude has lifted me up on multiple occasions in the past two weeks. Every time I felt devastated, whether about my pain or my car, I’d call him and he would help me see things in a new light and make me feel better. I have never been so thankful to have a partner with a positive attitude. Due to my pain, he has also taken on more than his share of the workload at home when all I can do is lie flat on the ground. He has (reluctantly) been my Instagram husband lately (he hates being called that) and takes great photos – thanks Damon!
- My job // My job is a great source of stress but I am thankful for a lot, including the fact that I have a job. I am thankful for 1) an amazing boss who has never been my source of stress in this job; 2) my work’s close proximity to my home and a short commute; 3) the opportunity to learn, grow, and make a difference in one of the largest capital projects in Canada.
- My home // I am thankful every day for the home that Damon and I live in. Everything about it, including the neighborhood, is such a great fit for us. In addition to saying ‘I love you’ to each other, we often say ‘I love our home’ to each other as well. I love that we have enough space to host our families and friends. Having my family over for dinner last month and seeing the people closest to me around my dinner table was a proud moment, and I look forward to many more dinners like that. I also look forward to sharing photos, stories and lessons-learned here on my blog.
- My faith // The most painful periods of my life are also the periods I draw closest to God in prayer. I remember all the difficult days that I got through by praying with my mom and my friend Alyssa. God is real, personal, and loving. I constantly remind my Sunday School kids that God cares about all the little details in their lives and that nothing is ever too small or too big for God. I often wonder who people turn to when they don’t have faith because I can’t live without it. I read the book A Praying Life by Paul Miller this spring and it had a profound impact on me and my prayer life. I highly recommend it. I am thankful that what is impossible for me is possible with God, that I can bring whatever I’m anxious about to God in prayer.
I’ve lived in this exact outfit ever since I bought it because it’s the most comfortable outfit I can wear without going out in sweatpants. The Lole yoga jeans are incredible and you have to try on a pair to see for yourself. It’s comfortable all over, including around the waist, and it hugs you in the most flattering ways. I knew I had to have the sweater as soon as I tried it on because of the ultra-soft fabric and the cute zipper detail.
Lole skinny yoga jeans (I’m wearing sizes 25) – there’s also a long version/ Lole sweater, also available here / Lole scarf (40% off!) / Blondo waterproof boots (worn in this post), also available here / Tory Burch Block-T tote, also available here / Celine Audrey sunglasses / Gorjana bar necklace / Essie gel couture in Model Clicks